Grammarly is a grammar-checking tool that helps you correct mistakes such as spelling and punctuation. It can be used within Outlook to correct errors in your emails, making them more professional.
Both the free and premium versions of Grammarly work well with Outlook, whether you’re using Microsoft 365 or Outlook.com on your browser. Follow this guide to add Grammarly to Outlook.
Adding Grammarly to the Outlook Desktop App
First, you must install the Grammarly desktop application, then integrate it into the Outlook app.
Installing Grammarly on desktop
- Go to grammarly.com and click Log in.
- If you don’t have a Grammarly account, click I don’t have an account to sign up.
Alternatively, Sign in to your account.
- After signing in, you will be directed to the Grammarly web app. Go to Apps on the left sidebar.
- Click Install next to “Grammarly for Windows”. This automatically downloads the Grammarly desktop app.
- Once the download has finished, launch GrammarlyInstaller.exe.
- Click on Sign in to existing account. This will open a window in your browser. Select Continue to Grammarly.
- On the Grammarly desktop app, select Next.
- Select if you want the free or premium version of Grammarly.
- Finally, click Start using Grammarly to finish the installation.
Using Grammarly in the Outlook Desktop App
- Launch the Outlook desktop app and select New Email.
- Compose your email as usual. You will notice a floating icon on the right of the email field, indicating that Grammarly is actively checking your text.
Adding Grammarly to Outlook.com on the Browser
To use Grammarly in your browser, you must download the Grammarly extension.
- Sign in to grammarly.com using your preferred browser.
- Go to Apps on the left side of the page.
- Click on the Install button next to “Grammarly for Chrome” – the option displayed here will depend on your browser.
- In the newly opened tab, click Add to Chrome.
- Select Add extension on the pop-up window. This will automatically install the Grammarly extension on your Chrome browser.
- To check if the extension was installed, click the Extension icon on the top right of the page. You will see Grammarly listed there.
Using Grammarly on Outlook.com
- Sign in to outlook.com on the browser that you installed the extension in. Create a new email by clicking New message.
- Type your email as you usually would. You will see the Grammarly icon on the bottom-right corner of the text field.