Designing a house plan can be difficult if you’ve never done it before. CorelDRAW 2022 is a perfect software for vector drawings, including house blueprints. If you want to learn how to create a house plan in CorelDRAW, this is the guide to follow.
Starting and creating the floor plans
- After creating a new document, turn the document to a landscape position. To do this, select Landscape in the “Property bar”.Click on the Landscape in the “Property bar”.
- Start by drawing the walls of the house. You can do this using the Freehand tool. To draw straight lines with this tool, click once where you want the beginning of your line to be, and while holding Shift, click where you want the end of your line to be.
You can also use the Rectangle tool, which allows you to draw closed rectangles and squares. If you want to draw a perfect square with this tool, hold down CTRL while drawing with the Rectangle tool.
- Once you have a rough layout of your walls, select everything and change the Outline width to 7.0 pt (or any number you are happy with).
- After that, select everything again and press Ctrl + G on your keyboard to group the walls. You can also press P on your keyboard to center your drawing.
How to Draw Doors
- First, draw a rectangle of 1.4mm x 17mm. You can adjust the specific width and height in the “Property bar”.
- Next, select the Ellipse tool. To draw a perfect circle around the rectangle, click on the lower left node of the rectangle and draw a circle while holding CTRL and Shift.
- While the circle is selected, click on the Shape Tool. Then click on the node and hold CTRL while sliding it to the left.
- Add another rectangle at the bottom of the door. It should be wider than the walls – in our case, wider than 7pt. Place it on the lower part of the door. In the color palette section on the right side of your CorelDRAW window, both right and left-click on the White color. Right-clicking on a color in CorelDRAW will outline the object, while left-clicking on a color will color the closed object.
- Next, select the rectangle on the right side of the door, and press CTRL + Page Up to bring it in front of the White rectangle. Select all the door parts and press CTRL + G to group them. This makes it easier to move or resize the entire door.
- To create a double door, select the door, press Ctrl + C, and then Ctrl + V. Click on the midpoint on the right side of the door and drag it to the left side while holding Ctrl.
- Here are some different types of door illustrations you can use:
How to Draw Windows
- Start by drawing a rectangle approximately the same width as your walls. In our case, the window should be 18mm x 2.3mm.
- Using the Freehand tool, click on the midpoint of the rectangle on the left side. Then click on the midpoint of the rectangle on the right side while holding Shift. Color the window white by right-clicking on the White color from the color palette on the right side.
- To create a double window, select the window you created, and press Ctrl + C and Ctrl + V. Then click on the midpoint on the left side and drag it to the right while holding CTRL.
- If you want to rotate the windows or doors, adjust the Angle of rotation in the “Property bar”.
How to Draw a Staircase
- Use the Rectangle tool to create the shape of the stairs. In this case, it should be approximately 20mm x 53mm.
- Use the Freehand tool and draw a line on the top of the rectangle.
- While having that line selected, go to Edit > Step and Repeat.
- A window will appear on the right side of the program. Under “Horizontal Settings” make the Distance 0 mm. Under “Vertical Settings” make the Distance -3 mm, and the Number of copies 18. Then click Apply.
- Select the Freehand tool again, and in the “Property bar” select the end of the line to be an arrow. We chose Arrowhead 4.
- Next, draw a straight line upwards in the middle of the staircase. The beginning of the line marks the beginning of the staircase. After, select all the objects on the staircase and group them by pressing Ctrl + G.
- Here are different types of staircases you can use:
How to Draw a Second Floor
While there is no specific way to mark the 2nd-floor plan, pay attention to the arrow on the staircase. You could also make the outline of the bottom floor a brighter color.