Choosing to go Public on your TikTok account is common for people who want to build a following on the app. A public account allows your followers to see your uploads and more details of your account.
With a public TikTok account, anyone can follow you, view your following lists, and interact with your videos.
By keeping your account private on TikTok, you limit your audience. This is not ideal for someone who wants to build a following and grow their account. Staying private means you choose who gets to see your content, such as videos and lives.
If you wish to switch your account to public, follow these steps.
- Launch the TikTok app and tap on Profile.
- Tap the three horizontal-line menu on the top right of your screen.
- Tap on Settings and privacy to access further controls.
- You will see Privacy as your second option. Select it.
- At the top of the page, you will see the Discoverability section. The toggle next to Private account will be on if your account is currently private. You want to run the toggle off to make it public.
- A pop-up will ask if you want to switch your account to public. You can also read what to expect when going public.
Once you have understood the changes, click on the red Switch button. Your account will become public.
Note: There are ways to limit privacy on your videos even after going public. This includes limiting followers by choosing who can comment on your videos, mention or tag you, see your following lists, duet with and stitch your videos, send you direct messages, download your videos, and view your likes.
To do this, go to Profile > Three horizontal-line menu > Settings and Privacy > Privacy > Private Account
Here you can scroll down and see the options and change your privacy settings.