VS Code allows you to open multiple files at once using multiple tabs. This guide shows you how to open multiple tabs in Visual Studio Code. Before we begin, make sure to have your project opened in VS Code.
Step 1: Make required changes in VS Code settings
Before we begin opening multiple tabs, make sure you enable the option of opening multiple files at once. Follow these steps:
- From the top-level “File” menu, select Preferences, and from the sub-menu, select Settings. Alternatively, you can press Ctrl + , to open Settings.
- Search “Launch” in the search bar. Choose the Workspace tab and click on the Edit in settings.json option.
- Settings.json file will open in a new tab. Click on the launch keyword and select workbench.settings.useSplitJSON.
- Add the following code in the editor:
- Save the file by pressing Ctrl + S
Step 2: Opening Multiple Files
Now that we have enabled support for opening multiple files, we can use our mouse to open multiple files. Double-click the files you want to open in a new tab.