Sharing your Outlook calendar with other people is the best way to inform them of your schedule. However, there can be restrictions regarding calendar sharing depending on the kind of account you’re using. There are primarily two ways you can share your calendar: via the Outlook desktop app or the web app.
- If you’re using a Microsoft 365 email, you can easily share your calendar within your organization. However, to be able to share it with people outside your company (e.g., clients, suppliers, family), your administrator needs to change your security and privacy settings. You may contact your administrator for help regarding this.
- On the contrary, if you’re using an outlook.com email, you can freely share your calendar with anyone. This includes people using outlook.com accounts, gmail, or even custom accounts.
Sharing Your Outlook Calendar on the Desktop App
- Open Outlook on your desktop and click the calendar icon in the lower-left portion of the window.
- Click Share Calendar in the “Manage Calendars” section.
- Choose which calendar you want to share. If you only have one calendar, select Calendar from the list.
- Click Add under the “Permissions” tab.
- Type the name of the user you want to share your calendar with. Then, press the right arrow.
- Once the user pops up, click Add. Then, press OK.
- Choose the desired level of permission you want to give to the user. You have three options:
- Can view when I’m busy means the user can see that you have an appointment on a specific date and time but the other details are not shown.
- Can view titles and locations means the user can see the titles and locations of your appointments.
- Can view all details means the user can see all the information about your appointment.
- Click Apply, then OK. The user will receive an email notifying them that you shared your calendar.
Opening a Shared Calendar on the Desktop App
- Open your desktop app and click on the email with the subject “You’re invited to share this calendar.”
- Click Accept and view at the bottom of the email. This will open outlook.com in your web browser.
- Scroll down to the bottom of the dialog box and click Import. Then, close the “Add calendar” dialog box.
- Open your desktop app again. Then, click the calendar icon at the bottom left of the window.
- Go to “Other Calendars” and choose the name of the user who sent you the calendar. The shared calendar will then open next to your calendar.
Sharing Your Outlook Calendar on the Web App
- Sign in to outlook.com and select the calendar icon on the left sidebar.
- Click Share on the right-hand side of the window.
- Type the email address or contact name of the user you want to share your calendar with.
- Click the drop-down menu to show all the permissions.
- Choose one of the permission options.
- Once done, click Share. The user will then receive an email that you’ve shared your calendar with them.
Opening a Shared Calendar on the Outlook Web App
- Sign in to outlook.com and open the email with the subject “You’re invited to share this calendar.”
- Click Accept at the bottom of the email.
- Click View calendar to open the shared calendar.