Trimming a video means cutting out sections of it. This removes bloopers, cuts down on length, and makes your videos look more professional and polished. Windows 11 has built-in trimming apps that make it easy to do this in a few clicks.
Trim videos using the Video Editor
Windows 11 has a built-in video editing app called Video Editor. You can use it to trim your videos without downloading extra software.
- Go to the Start menu and search for “video editor.” Click the Video Editor icon that appears.
- Click New video project.
- Click the Add button in the Project library window, then select the video you want to trim.
- Drag the video from the Project library to the Storyboard at the bottom of the window.
- Press Trim in the Storyboard’s toolbar.
- Click and drag the left or right edge of the slider to select the part of the video you want to keep.
- When you finish trimming, click Done.
- Your trimmed video will appear in the main window. To save it, click Finish video in the upper right corner.
- Choose the video quality you want, then click Export.
- Select where you want to save the video, then click Export.
Trim videos using the Movies & TV App
Movies & TV app is another built-in video editor you can use to trim your videos.
- Right-click the video you want to trim. Go to Open with > Movies & TV.
- The video will open in the app. In the lower right corner, there is a pencil icon. Click it, then choose Trim.
- Select the part of the video you want to keep by dragging the sliders.
- When you’re done, click Save as in the upper right corner.
- Select the path where you want to save the trimmed video, then click Save.
Using the Photos App
Although it’s called the Photos app, you can also use it to edit videos.
- Right-click the video you want to trim and select Open with > Photos.
- The video will open in the Photos app. Click the Video trim button in the upper middle of the window. The icon is a photo with a pencil in it.
- The same “Trim video” window in the Movies & TV app will open. Trim the video using the sliders, then click Save as.
- Select where you want to save the video, then click Save.
Trim videos using apps
You can download many apps to trim down videos on Windows.
Clipchamp is a free app made by Microsoft and available for download on the Microsoft Store. It includes many features that built-in video editors don’t. For example, using the previous methods, you can only trim from the video’s beginning or end. However, with Clipchamp, you can cut any part of the video.
- To install Clipchamp, go to the Microsoft Store and search for “Clipchamp.” Click Get, then wait for the app to install.
- After the installation is complete, launch the app. In the upper right corner, click Create a video.
- Press the “+” symbol in the left sidebar, then select the video you want to trim.
- Drag the video from the sidebar to the timeline.
- To trim the video, find the beginning of the part you want to cut out and click the scissors icon in the toolbar above the timeline. Move to the part you want to cut out and click the scissors icon again.
- Now, you have a particular marker at each end of the part you want to cut out. To remove that part of the video, right-click it and choose Delete.
- The deleted part will leave a gap in the timeline. To close the gap, right-click it, then choose Delete Gap.
- That section has now been trimmed out! To export your video, click the Export button in the upper right corner, then choose the quality you want.
- The exporting process will start.
- When the exporting process finishes, several video-saving options will appear. Choose the one you want. To save it, click Save to your computer.
Trim videos using Online Tools
Various websites (both free and paid) offer video trimming functionalities which are helpful if you don’t want to install additional software on your computer.
The most popular online video trimmers include: