This article shows how to update Visual Studio Code to the latest release. We’ll intentionally use an older version of Visual Studio Code (1.63.2) for this tutorial.
Check the version you’re running
Follow these steps to check the version of Visual Studio Code installed in the system:
- From the “Help” section, select About.
- A message box with the version number will pop up on the screen.
Check the latest version of VS Code available
Head over to code.visualstudio.com/updates. You will find the latest release with the version number and some key highlights of the update.
Change your update settings.
Updating Visual Studio Code depends on your update settings. There are four different update modes available in Visual Studio Code. You can change the update settings following these steps:
- From the “Manage” section in the sidebar, select Settings.
- Search “Update Mode.” You will find the four update modes as follows:
Default – enables automatic and periodic update checks.
Manual – disables automatic background update checks and requires you to check manually.
Start – checks for updates only on startups and disables automatic background checks.
None – disables updates.
- By default, Visual Studio Code is set up to auto-update. If you want to opt out of automatic updates, you can change the update mode to none.
- Changing the update mode might prompt you to restart Visual Studio Code. Select Restart.
Check for a new update?
The default configuration auto-updates the Visual Studio Code. If you would like to perform a manual check for a new update, follow these steps:
- From the “Help” section, select Check for Updates…
- If you have the latest version, it will notify you that there are no updates available.
How to manually force an update
If the update still does not complete, you can also force an update. Forcing an update requires installing the software again without uninstalling the existing software. Here is how to force update Visual Studio Code:
- First, download the installer from code.visualstudio.com.
- Finally, run the installer with default configurations.
- After the installation, you will see the Release Notes in Visual Studio Code. Notice we have successfully installed the latest version.
Using these methods, you can easily keep up with the latest releases of VS Code. You may also want to change your update settings according to your specific needs.