Whether you’re storing sensitive business data or want to protect your personal information, keeping your computer safe from prying eyes is important. One way to protect your files is to password-protect them. This ensures that only people with the correct password can access the folder’s contents. This guide will show you how to password protect a folder in Windows 11.
Using the Built-in Encryption Function
Windows 11 has a built-in encryption function that can help you password protect your folders. This method will only encrypt files or folders for those signing in to your computer with another user. However, if others log in with the same user you use, they can still access your password-protected files or folders.
- Right-click the file or folder you wish to encrypt. Click Properties.
- Click Advanced.
- Check the box next to Encrypt contents to secure data, then click Ok.
- Press Apply.
- A popup window will appear to confirm the encryption operation. There are two options, Apply changes to this folder only and Apply changes to this folder, subfolders and files. Choose the encryption option you wish to use and click OK.
- Your file or folder is now encrypted. The next time other users try to access it, they will be prompted for a password.
WinRAR is a file compression and decompression program that can be used to password protect your files or folders. This method will compress the file or folder you wish to password protect and will require a password to open the compressed file.
- If you don’t have WinRAR on your computer, download and install it first.
- Right-click the file or folder you wish to compress. Go to WinRAR > Add to archive.
- In the Archive options section, you can find an option called Delete files after compression. This option will delete the original file once it has been compressed. So, if you want to keep the original file, ensure this option is not checked. However, if you’re only interested in the password-protected version of the file, you can check this option. After choosing whether to check the box or not, click Set password.
- Enter the password you wish to use for the compressed file, then click OK.
- Click OK. WinRAR will now compress and password-protect your file or folder. No one can access it without the password, even if they use the same user as you.
Using Easy File Locker
Easy File Locker is a freeware program that can password protect your files or folders. Using this method, other users will not be able to access, read, edit, delete, move, or copy the restricted files/folders.
- Download Easy File Locker from here.
- Install the program and open it.
- In the Easy File Locker main window, go to System > Set Password.
- Enter the password you wish to use, confirm it, and click OK.
- Click the Files & Folders button. Choose one of the two options, Add File or Add Folder.
- In the Path section, click the button with three dots (…) and browse to the file or folder you wish to lock.
- Under the “This file or folder will be“ section, uncheck the Accessible box. This will automatically uncheck the Writable and Deletable boxes.
- In the visible box, you can choose whether you want the file or folder to be hidden or visible.
- Click Ok.
- The folder or file will now be locked, and no one will be able to access it. If you want to access it, you can go to the Easy File Locker main window, double-click the file you locked, then check the box next to Accessible and click OK.