Recording your screen can be helpful for work, projects, presentations, or record gameplays. If you’re looking for easy ways to record your screen in Windows 11, that’s what we’ll talk about in this guide.
You can use the Xbox Game bar, the most popular method to record your screen without downloading other apps. Another in-built recorder is none other than in Microsoft PowerPoint. However, there are limitations to these methods. If you’re looking to use more advanced third-party apps, we recommend OBS Studio.
Built-in Methods to Record Your Screen in Windows 11
There are two main ways to record your screen in Windows 11 without installing additional third-party software.
Xbox Game Bar
One of the most popular methods, especially among gamers, is to record their screen using the Xbox game bar. The limitation is that it can’t record your desktop or file explorer – only open software.
Follow the below steps to record your screen:
- Ensure you’re not on your desktop screen of the file explorer. Now, use the keyboard shortcut Windows + G to launch the Xbox game bar.
- You can see two overlays; one at the extreme left and one in the middle. On the extreme left, you can see the recording icon. Click on it to start recording. Alternatively, you can use the keyboard shortcut Windows + Alt + R to start recording directly.
- Once the recording starts, you’ll see a ticker showing the duration of the recording along with a stop and mic button. By default, it’s on the extreme right, but you can move it as you like. It records without audio by default. If you want to include your audio, click on the microphone icon to start recording your audio along with the screen recording.
- Press the stop icon left of the microphone icon to stop recording. This will prevent the recording and automatically save the video in your default location – C:\Users\user\Videos\Captures (replace user with your actual username).
- Once you stop recording, you will see a small overlay prompt telling you that the game clip was recorded.
- You can double-click on that prompt to view your recording.
This is another excellent way to record your screen. With this method, you can directly record and save the video. Additionally, you can insert the video into a slideshow. Follow the steps below to record your screen and save it using Microsoft PowerPoint.
- Open Microsoft PowerPoint on your computer or PC.
- Now, go to the Insert tab and click on Screen Recording.
- You can see a floating overlay on your screen. Click on the red circle or the record icon to start recording. Alternatively, you can also use the Windows + Shift + R keyboard shortcut to start the recording.
- Once you click on the record icon, you can see a countdown on your screen, after which the recording will start.
- You can click on the blue square or the stop icon to stop the recording. You can also use the Windows + Shift + Q keyboard shortcut to stop recording.
- Once you stop the recording, it’ll automatically be inserted into a slide.
- You can leave it at that if you just want the recording for your slideshow. If you want to save it onto your computer, right-click on the slide with the screen recording. Select the Save Media as… option.
- You can now select the location and rename the recording if you like. Finally, click on Save to save the recording.
Third-Party Apps to Record Your Screen in Windows 11
If you want more recording features and live-streaming capabilities, you can use third-party apps.
OBS Studio is one of the most popular choices for recording your screen. It’s a free and open-source platform that’s also used for live-streaming.
- Since this is a third-party app, the first step is downloading the software. First, go to the OBS Studio website. Then, click on the Windows option to start downloading the software on your PC.
- Double-click on the .exe file. You’ll see a prompt for access. Click on Yes. After which, you will see the setup guide. Click on Next.
- You’ll see the License Information. Click on Next to accept their terms and conditions.
- Choose your destination folder and click on Install.
- Wait for the installation to be completed. Once it’s done, launch the application. Select your purpose for the software. If you want to screen record, you can choose the second option – Optimize just for recording, I will not be streaming. After selecting your choice, tap on Next.
- Keep the other settings at default and select Next.
- Click on Start Recording.
- Once you’re done recording, select Stop Recording.
- Your recorded video will, by default, automatically be saved to This PC > Videos folder.