One of the most underrated features of Windows 11 is the free built-in video editor, which comes with the Windows Photos app. The app allows you to trim, split, add text, music, and much more. Although you can’t do complex editing, it’s a valuable tool for basic video editing. This guide shows you how to use the built-in video editor in Windows 11.
How to launch the Video Editor
- Press the Windows key and search for “video editor|”. Click on Open to launch.
Importing pictures to create a video
- Once the app is launched, click on Photos.
- This will take you to your albums. Navigate to the desired folders and select the pictures you’d like on your video.
- After selecting the pictures, click on the photo album icon and select New video project.
- Name your video and click on OK.
Importing an existing video
- Click on Add and select the source of your video. As it’s a video saved on my computer, I’ll choose From this PC.
- Select the video to be added.
Adding a Title Card to your video
You can add a card to your video.
- Click on Add title card.
- Click on Background to change the background color.
Setting a duration for your pictures
For the title card or any picture, you can set a duration. By default, it’s set to 3 seconds.
- Click on Duration and select the number of seconds you’d like. You can also type it in the text field.
Adding Text Overlay to your video
- Click on Text.
- Enter your text in the text field on top. Choose an Animated text style if you want. You can also pick a text alignment layout. Finally, click on Done.
Adding Motion to your video
Adding motion (transitions) to your videos makes pictures and video clips more professional and dynamic.
- Click on Motion.
- Select the type of motion you want, then click on Done.
Adding 3D effects to your video
You can also 3D effects to your pictures and video clips. Here’s how you can do it.
- Click on 3D effects.
- Pick an effect and click on Done.
Adding Filters to your video
- You can add filters by clicking the Filters option.
- Pick a filter and click on Done.
Rotating your video
You can rotate your video or image using the rotate icon until you get the correct position you want.
Trimming your video
- Select the video clip and click on Trim.
- Adjust the video clip by moving the start and end pointers around. Once you’re done, click on Done.
Splitting your video
- To split a video clip, select the video and click on Split.
- Place the pointer depending on where you want the video clip to split and click on Done.
Deleting Clips or Pictures from Your Video
Select the picture or video clip you don’t want and click on the trash icon to delete it.
14. Adding Audio to Your Video
You can add the free music available in the built-in editor, or you can add your own.
- Click on Background music above the video player. Now, select the music track that you want on your video. After making the changes, click Done to apply music to your video.
- You can click Custom audio to add your own music or narration.
- Click on Add audio file. Navigate to your file containing the audio you need, and double-click it. Finally, click Done.
Exporting your video
When your video is complete, it’s time to export it
- Click on Finish video.
- Select the desired video quality from the drop-down.
- Click on Export to begin processing and exporting the video.