Once you upload a video to Google Drive, you cannot play it immediately. Instead, you will get a message that says: We’re processing this video. Please check back later.
You’re getting this message because Google Drive is processing and converting your video to different resolutions, codecs, and formats to ensure that it plays smoothly on different devices users may be accessing it from once uploaded.
How long does Google Drive take to process a video?
Generally, it takes Google Drive around 10 minutes to process a 1GB video. However, this is just an estimate as the actual processing time depends on multiple factors, like:
- Video size: The larger the video, the more time Google Drive will take to process it. For instance, if it takes 10 minutes to process a 1GB video, it will take around 20 minutes to process a 2GB video.
- Internet speed: Just like uploading, Google Drive will process your video faster if you use high-speed internet.
- Google Drive servers: If the Google Drive servers are down or having some issues, the processing time will be longer.
It doesn’t matter how fast your device is when Google Drive is processing the videos. Google processes all videos using its own server and resources.
How can I speed up video processing on Google Drive?
Since video processing mostly depends on Google, you can’t do much to speed up the process. However, here are a few things that might have some effect:
- Sign out and sign back into your Google Account
- Update your browser
- Delete browsing data and cache
Alternatively, you can try uploading a compressed video, which is smaller in size and takes Google less time to process.
While the video is being processed in the background, you can still share its link – and users can download it. However, they won’t be able to view it online until it’s fully processed.
- Right-click the video file.
- Click Share.
- From the pop-up, click Restricted. It will open a drop-down.
- Here, click Anyone with the link.
- Now, change the sharing permissions to Viewer, Commenter, or Editor.
- Finally, click the Copy link button.