Adding a video to your Google Slides is a great way to engage your audience and maintain their attention. Experts recommend integrating videos into your presentations for many reasons.
This guide will show you how to add a video to Google Slides. Whether it’s an embedded video from YouTube or a saved video on your Google Drive, this article will show you everything you need to know.
Insert a video in Google Slides
- Open your presentation in Google Slides and pick the slide where you want to embed your chosen video.
- Select the Insert tab in the top ribbon and choose Video from the options in the dropdown menu.
- A new popup window will appear. You can choose between three options:
- Search for the YouTube video using the “Search” tab.
- Copy the YouTube video’s URL and paste it into the text field in the “By URL” tab.
- Insert a saved video on Google Drive.
Insert a YouTube Video using the Search feature
- If you know the title of the YouTube video you want or want to search for a video, you can use the Search tab. Type in your search term and click Search.
- The results will appear below. Pick the video you want to insert and click the Select button to confirm.
- Your chosen YouTube video will now be inserted into the slide.
Insert a YouTube Video by URL
- You can embed a YouTube video using the By URL tab. First, copy the URL of the YouTube video you want (you can open it in a different tab).
- On the By URL tab, paste the YouTube URL in the empty field and click Select.
Note: If the URL is valid, you will see a video preview below the URL field. Longer videos will take more time to appear than short videos.
Insert a Video using Google Drive
- From the popup window, select the Google Drive tab. Here, you can sort through your saved Google Drive videos using the My Drive, Shared drives, Shared with me, and Recent tabs.
- Alternatively, you can search for the video’s title using the Google Drive search box.
Note: If you want to change the displayed results to a list view (only file names will be displayed), click the horizontal lines icon in the top-right corner. Click it again to go back to a grid view (video thumbnails will be displayed).
- Click the video you want to insert to the slide and press Select to confirm.
How to position, resize, and trim an inserted video
Note: These steps apply to both inserted YouTube and Google Drive videos.
- After a video is inserted, you can position it by hovering your cursor above the video block and dragging it to your desired position.
- To resize, click on one of the points on the border of the video block and drag to extend or reduce the size of the block.
- You can cut a part of the video using the Format options menu. To access it, right-click on the video and select Format options.
- In the Video playback tab, enter the time you want the video to start and end using the Start at and End at fields.
- You can also add a drop shadow on the border of the video block using the Drop shadow tab.