Slack’s native emojis can be tedious and confusing. By adding custom emojis, you’ll be able to spice up your conversations with colleagues and make yourself the star of the Slack channel!
Things to keep in mind
- Any workspace member can add custom emojis.
- You can only add a custom emoji on Slack’s web and desktop version. However, after adding them, you can then use them on mobile.
- Team members can add images associated with their company or users’ headshots as custom emojis. Headshots allow team members to claim tasks by reacting using their personalized emojis.
- Members can use the custom emoji in the conversation or set it as a status.
Add a custom emoji to Slack
- Go to Slack and launch your workspace.
- Select any channel, and in the messaging field, click on the smiley face icon to view the emoji menu.
- Select Add Emoji.
- Click Upload Image and choose the file you want to add as an emoji.
- Type the emoji description under “Give it a name”, then click Save.
How to use custom emojis in Slack
- To send the custom emoji as a message, click on the smiley face icon to view the emoji menu in the messaging section.
- Pick the custom emoji and click on the paper plane icon.
- The custom emoji is visible to the channel users.
- Top react to a message using the custom emoji; hover over the message in the conversation section and click on the smiley face icon.
- In the emoji search bar, look for the custom emoji and click on it.
- The new reaction is available under the message.
Note: Follow this guide if you want to use the custom emoji as a status.