Credit card offer calls or spammers bothering you? Or maybe it’s a stalking ex that you can’t shake off. Let’s block ’em!
There are several ways to block numbers on Android devices so you don’t have to go through the ordeal of rejecting unwanted calls.
Some things to keep in mind before blocking someone:
- Blocking a number on your Android means they can’t reach you via calls or SMS. However, you can still call and text them.
- Blocking a number won’t restrict that person from contacting you on other apps like WhatsApp, Messenger, or Instagram.
Method #1: Block a number from your your contacts
If the person you want to block is in your phone’s Contacts, follow these steps to block them.
- Open the Phone app.
- Go to Contacts and tap on the contact you want to block.
- Tap on the ellipsis icon in the top right corner of your screen.
- Click on the option that says Block numbers.
- On the pop-up, Report as spam if it is a spam caller. Finally, select on Block to block the number.
Congratulations! You’ve successfully blocked this contact.
Method #2: Block a number from your call log
Use this option if you want to block a number that recently called you (or you’ve recently called). The Call Log appears on my phone under the Recents tab in the Phone app. On other Android devices, the call log may be called Call history or something similar.
To block a number from the call log:
- Go to your Phone app.
- Navigate to the Recents tab (essentially, your call log). Then, long-press the number you want to block. Select Block/report junk.
- You can check the option Report call as spam on the pop-up screen. Confirm by clicking Block. You will no longer receive calls or texts from this number!
Method #3: Block a number from Settings
If you haven’t saved or recently made or received calls to the number you want to block, you can block it using Settings.
The interface of the call log settings differs between Android devices, but again, you can apply the general process to all variations. Here’s how to block a number from Settings:
- Go to your Phone app.
- Tap on the ellipsis at the top right corner and select Settings.
- Select Blocked numbers.
- Click on the option to Add a Phone Number. Next, enter the number you want to block.
- Finish the process by tapping Block. This number is now added to your block list.
Method #4: Block a number from the Messages app
If you’ve communicated with the number you want to block using SMS, you can use Messages to block that number.
Note: the process may vary slightly based on the Android device.
- Go to your Messages app.
- Long press the conversation with the number you want to block.
- Click on the ellipsis on the top-right and select the Block option.
- On the confirmation pop-up, you can Report spam if necessary. Click OK to finish the process.
Note: Even though you’re blocking a number from the Messages app, all calls from that number will be blocked too.
Method #5: Block a number using third-party apps
You can also use one of many third-party apps to block a number on Android. Make sure you choose a reliable one – you can check ratings and reviews before installing the app. Here are some popular ones to get you started: