PS5 comes with backward compatibility and fully supports PS4 controllers. Connecting a PS4 controller to PS5 is a simple process and can be completed in under a minute.
When you first connect your PS4 controller to your PS5, you cannot do so wirelessly. Instead, you must use a USB Type-A to Micro USB cable. This is the same cable you use to charge PS4 controllers. The PS5 ships with a Type-C cable which is incompatible with the older PS4 controllers.
After the first pairing with a wired connection, you can use the PS4 controller wirelessly without any cables.
Note: you cannot play PS5 games using a PS4 controller. However, you’ll still be able to play PS4 games (except PSVR ones). On the other hand, PS4 games work perfectly fine with the PS5 controller. If you already have a PS4 controller, you can pair it with your PS5 and start using it again. This works out great for split-screen games like Borderlands 3 or couch co-op/multiplayer games like Fifa and Call of Duty: Cold War.
Here’s what you’ll need to start:
- A PS4 controller
- A USB Type-A to MicroUSB cable
How to Connect PS4 Controller to PS5
- Turn on your PS5. It will have 2 USB Type-A ports at the back and one at the front
- Insert the USB Type-A side of the cable in an unoccupied USB port on the console.
- Locate the MicroUSB port at the back of the PS4 controller.
- Insert the MicroUSB end into the port.
- A yellow light will shine on the lightbar at the back of the controller. This indicates a connection has been made, and the controller is now charging.
- The console will automatically detect the PS4 controller. If that’s not the case, press the Circular PS button on the controller.
- Once connected, you can press the PS Button on your controller to bring up the dashboard.
- Move to the Accessories icon to check the status of the controller.
- Press X on the icon to access the sub-menu. It includes the option to turn off the controller or change the settings.
- Press X on Controller Settings to access full controller options.
Connect PS4 Controller Wirelessly to PS5
Once the pairing process is done, press the PS button on the PS4 controller to turn on the console and the controller. Then, you can start using the controller wirelessly, just like your PS5 controller.