HEIC, or High-Efficiency Image File extension, is used to store photos taken from an iPhone or an iPad. The file format preserves high image quality and can store multiple image sequences.
The downside of using HEIC images is they’re incompatible with other platforms. For example, you cannot view them on Windows.
Google Drive doesn’t offer a native way to convert HEIC images to JPG. However, an official third-party app called CloudConvert can be installed to do the job.
This guide shows you how to convert HEIC images to JPG on Google Drive so you can open them on different platforms.
Convert HEIC to JPG on Google Drive using CloudConvert
Step 1: Open the image with CloudConvert
- Open the HEIC image from your Drive.
- Once you’re viewing the picture, click Open with.
- From the drop-down menu, select CloudConvert.
- In the Choose an account window, click your Google account.
- Next, click Allow to give access to CloudConvert.
- Enter your username in the Choose Username text field in the registration window.
- Finally, mark the Terms Of Service checkbox and click Register.
Step 2: Use CloudConvert to convert HEIC to JPG
Once you’ve registered an account, you will be taken to the conversion window. Follow these steps to convert HEIC to JPG:
- Notice that the HEIC file is already uploaded. Click the box next to Convert to and select JPG.
- Make sure the Save output files to Google Drive checkbox is marked and click Convert.
- Once the processing is finished, you can find the converted JPG image in your Google Drive. You can also click the Download button to download the JPG image on your computer.
Convert HEIC to JPG using Drive for Desktop on Mac
If you’ve set up Drive for Desktop on your Mac, you can use it to convert HEIC images on your Drive to JPG natively. Follow these steps:
- Go to Finder and open Google Drive.
- Next, go to My Drive.
- Right-click the HEIC image that you want to convert.
- In the drop-down menu, select Quick Actions > Convert image.
- A pop-up window will appear; select JPG as the format and click Convert to JPG.
A JPG version of the HEIC file will be saved in the same directory.
Convert HEIC to JPG Using Other Online Converters
You can also use online tools to convert HEIC to JPG.
First, download the HEIC image from Google Drive, then upload it to one of these websites:
Once the file is converted and downloaded, you can upload it back to your Google Drive.