Deleting or uninstalling apps is an essential skill every Android user should know. So if you’re running low on space or want a cleaner look on your phone, we’ve compiled a list of easy ways to delete Android apps.
How to Delete Apps in the App Drawer
The first and the fastest way to delete your apps is to uninstall them in the app drawer (in modern versions of Android, this also works for apps on the homepage). Here’s what you should do:
- Go to your app drawer and hold the app you want to delete for a few seconds.
- Tap Uninstall.
- A pop-up window will show, asking you to confirm uninstalling the app. Tap OK.
Note: On some Android devices, you can drag and drop the app to an uninstall tab (usually a trash can icon) that shows up on the top or bottom part of the screen. This option will show up when you press and hold the app icon. However, not all Android devices support this feature.
Note: You can also uninstall apps on your home screen using the same steps, but not all Android devices support this.
How to Delete Apps in Settings
Another easy option is to delete apps on your Android is in Settings. Follow the steps below:
- Open Settings on your Android device.
- Scroll down and tap Apps.
- Tap Manage apps.
- Tap Uninstall. This will then show all of your apps.
- Look for the app you want to delete and tap on it. Note: you can see which apps you haven’t used in a long time here. You can also search for a specific app.
- Select Uninstall.
- Finally, tap OK. The app will then be deleted from your device.
On some Android devices, you can uninstall two or more apps simultaneously. Just follow the same process and select all the apps you want to delete.
How to Delete Apps using the Google Play Store
Another easy way to uninstall Android apps is directly in the Google Play Store. Follow these steps:
- Open “Google Play Store” and tap your profile icon at the top-right corner of the screen.
- Go to Manage apps & device.
- Tap on the Manage section.
- Select the app you want to uninstall by tapping on the check box next to it.
- Tap the trash can icon on the top-right part of the screen.
- Finally, select Uninstall. The app(s) will now be deleted after a few seconds.
Note: Just like uninstalling apps on your Android device Settings, you can also delete two or more apps in the Google Play Store using the same steps.
How to Remove App Shortcuts
Use this option to remove app shortcuts from your homepage without uninstalling the app. The app will still be available in your app drawer. To remove app shortcuts, follow these steps:
- On the home screen, hold the app shortcut for a few seconds.
- Tap Remove.
- In many devices, a small pop-up will show up at the bottom of the screen that says “Item removed.” If you change your mind, tap Undo.
Can You Delete Pre-Installed Apps?
Android devices all come with different pre-installed apps such as Email, Google Play Books, Google Play Movies & TV, Google Play Magazines, Hangouts, YouTube, etc. You may also have apps installed by your manufacturer, for example, Samsung or Huawei.
While you cannot delete these apps, you can choose to turn off or disable them. This way, they won’t clutter or slow down your device.
What Happens If You Delete Apps You Purchased?
If you accidentally delete one of your purchased apps, you won’t have to buy that app again. Instead, simply reinstall these apps using Google Play Store.