Google Drive is one of the most popular free cloud storage systems. However, it has a storage limit of only 15GB per account. Therefore, you should delete unneeded files to save space and reduce clutter.
In this guide, we will see how to delete files from Google Drive on both computer and the mobile app.
Delete Google Drive files on a computer
Delete files using the desktop application
To delete your files from the Google Drive using the desktop application:
- First, download and install the Google Drive desktop application.
- Once installed, locate and open the Google Drive application from your desktop and navigate to the files you want to delete.
- Select them and Right-Click. From the context menu, click Delete.
Effectively, the selected files will be deleted from the main Drive and moved to Trash. They will stay there for 30 days, after which all the files will be permanently deleted, or you can manually delete them now.
Note: deleting files from Trash will make them unrecoverable.
Delete files using the website
- Go to the Google Drive website and log into your account.
- Select all the files you want to delete, Right-Click them and select Remove from the context menu.
Like the desktop application, the website will move the files to Trash and delete them after 30 days. But if you want to expedite this process, head to Trash, and from the left side menu, select relevant files, Right-Click, and select Delete Forever.
Delete Google Drive files on Android or iPhone
- Launch the Google Drive app.
- Click Files on the bottom-right corner and navigate to the files you want to delete.
- Select the files, tap the three vertical dots, and click Remove.
Like on desktop, the mobile application also has a Trash where your files are kept restorable for 30 days. You can empty the Trash folder to delete the files permanently.