In Excel, there are various methods used to insert the degree symbol °. The easiest way is to copy the degree symbol from here then paste it into your excel cell:
However, there are also other ways to insert it. We are using the Office 365 version of Excel (build 2203) for this guide.
Adding a degree symbol using the Insert tab
- Select the cell where you want to add the degree symbol and open the Insert tab from the top menu.
- Click on the Symbols section and select Symbol.
- Select the degree symbol from the Symbol window. Click Insert once to add the symbol and close the window.Note: You can also enter “2070” in the Character code section to instantly select the degree symbol.
The degree symbol has been added.
Adding a degree symbol using a keyboard shortcut (for Windows and Mac)
We can also add the degree symbol in Excel by using a keyboard shortcut.
The keyboard shortcut on Windows is ALT+0176. To use the shortcut, press and hold the ALT key and press 0176 from the Numpad of your keyboard. Note: This will only work if the number sequence is typed from a Numpad.
The keyboard shortcut on Mac is Option + Shift + 8.
Adding a degree symbol using the CHAR function
The CHAR function allows you to enter ASCII characters by using their corresponding codes. The ASCII code for the degree symbol is 0176.
- Select a cell where you want to add the degree symbol and type =0&CHAR.
The “0” is a placeholder value we will replace with our data after formatting.
- Type “176” in parentheses. This code represents the degree symbol in excel.
Our final function looks like this:
Press Enter to add the degree symbol to the selected cell.
- Replace the placeholder value “0” with your data.