Slack allows you to communicate with workspace users using channels or direct messaging. If you’re no longer working with a team, then leaving the conversation in Slack might be necessary.
Things to keep in mind
- Users cannot leave the #general channel.
- Guests invited to a single channel cannot leave the conversation.
- Guests invited to multiple channels can leave private channels but need workspace admin or owners to remove them from a public channel.
How to leave channel conversation in Slack
- Go to Slack and launch your workspace.
- Hover over to the conversation you want to leave.
- Go to the conversation header and click on the channel name.
- Click Leave channel.
- The conversation has been removed. You can only rejoin a public channel.
- Alternatively, type the following slash command in the messaging field, then click on the paper plane icon to send the message.
/remove @[your username]
You have successfully left the conversation using the slash command.
- Open the Slack application and select the conversation you want to leave.
- Long press on the channel name until a new menu appears.
- Tap on Leave Channel.
- Confirm the action by selecting Leave Channel or Leave.
- The conversation is successfully removed.