Follow the steps below to create a private project in Asana. Before proceeding, remember that you must be an Asana premium user if you want to make a project private to its members only. If you’re a free-tier user, you can make the project private but for yourself only.
If you are on the basic plan, upgrade to Asana premium to avail of this feature.
Creating a new private project
- Open Asana and click on the plus icon associated with the targeted team in the left panel.
- Choose Blank project if you want to create a project from scratch. Otherwise, click on Use a template.
- If you chose to create a Blank project, enter a name for the project in the following window.
- Expand the dropdown menu for Privacy and choose Private to project members or Private to me, depending on your preferred option.
- Select the default view you want in the following window and click on the Continue button.
- Choose Start adding tasks in the next window and hit Go to project. Your private project will be created!
Using a template
- If you chose to create a project using an existing template, select a template and click on Use template.
- In the following window, enter your Project name.
- Under Privacy, select Private to project members or Private to me. When ready, click on Create project.
Make an Existing Project Private
If you want to make an already existing project private, follow these steps:
- In Asana, open the project you wish to make private.
- Click on the Share button on the top.
- In the following Share [Your Project] dialog box, click on Make private.
Manage Permissions in Private Projects
Like public projects, you can also limit the access of team members in private projects. By default, team members will be able to edit the tasks within the project.
To change that, follow these steps:
- Launch your private project in Asana and click on the Share button on the top.
- In the following dialog box, you will see each member’s permissions. Expand the dropdown menu associated with the member’s name to edit each member’s permissions.
- Choose the desired option from the context menu.