Google Maps is one of the most widely used navigational apps. It provides many useful functionalities, and one of them is measuring distances between locations accurately. This shows you how to measure distances on Google Maps using a browser or the smartphone app.
Measure distance on a web browser
- Launch your browser and open Google Maps.
- Click on the Search Bar and type the name of your starting location, then press Enter or the Search magnifying glass icon. We’ll use “New York Film Academy” as our starting location in this example.Click on the Search Google Maps field and enter your starting location
- Once your starting location opens, right-click on it on the map to bring out a list of options. Select Measure distance.
- You will be asked to select the second location where you want its distance (from the first location) measured. You can choose the second location by clicking on it on the map. In this case, we will use “Bank of America Financial Center” as our second point.Note: If you don’t know where the second location’s position is on the map, you should search for it before beginning the measurement process. This is because Google Maps doesn’t allow you to search for the second location point once you start measuring – you must zoom out and manually select it on the map. You can also drop a pin on the second location before starting this process, so you’ll know where to click.
- Once the second point is selected, Google Maps will immediately measure the distance. The distance (measured in feet and meters) will be displayed at the bottom of the screen.
Note: You can click on the second point and drag it to another location on the map to measure the distance of a new location from the first point.
Measuring distance on the Google Maps app
It’s easy to measure distances on the Google Maps app. We are using an Android device for this tutorial, but the instructions are the same if you’re using an iPhone or iPad.
- Launch Google Maps on your phone
- Touch and hold the screen on one of the points on the map where you want to measure the distance. You will drop a red pin at that location.
Note: the selected point should not be the name of a business or building, as Google Maps won’t bring out the red pin. It will only show you highlights, features, and reviews of the business or building selected. If you want to measure the distance from a building, select a very close point but not the building itself.
- Next, tap on the red pin or swipe up from the bottom of the screen to bring up a list of options. In the next window, you will see an option for Measure distance. Tap on it to continue.
- The screen will show a black traceable icon from the first point with dotted lines. You can drag that to the second point where you want its distance measured on the map.
- Google Maps will automatically show you the distance between the first and the second points on the map in miles. The measured distance will be displayed at the bottom of the screen.
- If you want to measure the distance between multiple points, you can select Add point. Again, drag anywhere on your screen to choose the location of your third point.Note: You can add as many points as you want to measure the total distance between your starting and final locations.