Rest Mode is Sony’s alternative to “sleep mode” on Windows or Mac. The Rest Mode runs the console on low power (electricity consumption) instead of turning it off completely. This allows the PS5 to “wake up” almost immediately when you need it.
What Happens When Your PS5 is in Rest Mode:
- The console consumes less energy/electricity
- The PS5 can remain connected to the internet
- The PS5 can be woken up by the Network or the Spotify app
- It can continue downloading videogames in the background
- It can auto-download and auto-update any games, apps, and system software
- You can use the PS App on your phone to start new downloads
- The USB ports have power and continue charging controllers and accessories
- Games can be suspended and can be resumed as soon as the console wakes up
How to put your PS5 in Rest Mode:
- With your PS5 open, press the PS button on the controller to bring up the dashboard.
- Select Power.
- Now select Enter Rest Mode, and the PS5 will go into sleep/rest mode.
Rest Mode is indicated by a light yellow light on the PS5
- Alternatively, press the power button at the front of the console
- When you hear a beep, the PS5 will go into Rest Mode
Change the features available in Rest Mode
- Go to Settings.
- Select System.
- Then, select Power Saving.
- Select Features Available in Rest Mode.
- You can toggle Rest Mode features here
Features Available in Rest Mode:
The PS5 lowers power/electricity consumption below 0.5 W when in Rest Mode. However, if you enable any of the features, it will consume more power/electricity. The more features enabled, the more electricity/power consumed in Rest Mode. Here are the features available in Rest Mode:
- Supply Power to USB Ports – Changes how long the PS5 provides power to the USB ports. The ports allow you to charge controllers, headphones, and other accessories.
- Stay Connected to the Internet – Allows the PS5 to download games and updates while in Rest Mode
- Enable Turning on PS5 from Network – This wakes the console using the Remote App
- Enable Turning on PS5 from Spotify – Allows the Spotify app on your phone to wake up the console