There are many reasons to record your Android device’s screen. Whether it’s for a project, a YouTube video, or simply trying to show a distant older relative how to change their phone settings, this guide walks you through everything there is to know about recording your Android phone’s screen.
Record Using the Built-in Screen Recording Function
More recent phone models come with an in-built screen recording feature. So before you look for third-party apps you can use to record your screen, check first if your phone comes with this helpful feature! Here’s how to record your screen on Android using your phone’s built-in screen recorder:
- Open your device’s quick menu by dragging your finger from the top of your device downward twice. Next, tap the screen recording icon (depending on how many icons you have, you might need to swipe right to other pages to find it).
- Tap Start to begin recording.
- To stop recording, tap the same button.
- You can find your recordings in gallery or media files.
Record your screen using third-party apps
You’ll need to download a third-party app if your phone doesn’t have the built-in screen recording feature. You can also use an app if the feature is not working for you or is buggy. Here are some of your options.
ADV Screen Recorder
ADV Screen Recorder has a simple interface but can record everything on your smartphone’s screen. The app is compatible with Android 5.0 and up.
With ADV Screen Recorder, you don’t have to launch the app each time you need it – it features a handy button overlay that’ll rest on your screen for easy access.
Additionally, our testing showed it’s quite a stable recorder, with no lag on most devices. It is also ad-free.
Here’s how to record your screen using ADV Screen Recorder:
- Launch the app. Tap the plus icon on the top-right of the screen.
- Tap Start now.
- Tap the video icon on the screen.
- Tap the record button to start recording.
- If you want to pause the recording, tap the pause icon (with two vertical lines). To stop recording, tap stop record (the square icon).
- You can also stop or pause the recording using your Android device’s quick menu. Drag your finger from the top of your device, and you’ll find the ADV Screen Recorder menu bar. From there, you can tap Stop, Pause, or Draw if you want to draw on your screen while recording.
- Your video will be automatically saved to your gallery. Alternatively, you can also check all recorded videos on the app.
AZ Screen Recorder
Another screen recorder app, AZ Screen Recorder, is widely used. It has an easy-to-use interface with a helpful button overlay on your screen. It’s compatible with most android smartphones and shouldn’t have any difficulties recording using it.
Here’s how to record your screen using AZ Screen Recorder:
- Launch the app. Tap the video camera icon on the bottom-right corner of the screen.
- Tap Start now.
- When you’re done recording, tap the circle icon with a timer to show the controls, then tap the square icon to stop recording. To pause, tap the pause button (icon with two vertical lines).
- You can also use the notification panel to stop or pause your recording. Drag your finger down from the top of the screen, and you’ll see a small AZ Recorder menu bar.
- Once you tap Stop, your video will automatically be saved to your gallery
Google Play Games
Google Play Store Link: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.google.android.play.games&hl=en&gl=US
If you’re a gamer, then you might already be familiar with the screen recording feature Google Play Games offers. This app lets you use your front-facing camera, which is ideal for those into live streaming. However, it can only record in 420p or 720p.
Google Play Games only allows you to record the games you play on your Android device. So if you’re thinking about creating a video about something else, you should look at other options.
Here’s how to record your screen using Google Play Games:
- Launch Google Play Games, and tap the thumbnail of the game you want to play.
- Tap the Record icon at the top-right part of the screen.
- Select your preferred video quality, then tap Next.
- Tap Launch to start the game.
- To start recording, press on the Record icon. You can also move the bubble around the screen to place it wherever you like. To stop recording, tap the same recording button.
- You have the option to mute or unmute your mic and close your front camera. Simply tap the mic and the video camera icons to do so.
- To end the recording, drag the floating bubble over the X icon located in the center of the screen.
Mobizen Screen Recorder
Mobizen Screen Recorder is a very straightforward option for anyone who wants to record their screen. It doesn’t have a fancy interface and doesn’t do anything special. Still, its simplicity makes it easy to use and is particularly useful for those who might not need anything advanced.
Here’s how to record your screen using Mobizen Screen Recorder:
- Launch the app. Then, tap the Mobizon logo on the right side of the screen.
- Three different icons will pop up. Tap the video camera icon.
- Tap Start now to start recording.
- Swipe down to open the notification panel, and you’ll find the Mobizen menu bar. Tap Pause or Stop when you’re done recording.
- A window will show up asking if you want to delete, close, or watch the video.