There are many reasons to record your Android device’s screen. Whether it’s for a project or trying to teach your mom how to change their phone settings remotely, this guide walks you through everything there is to know about recording your Android phone’s screen.
How to Record With Your Phone’s Built-in Screen Recording Function
More recent phone models usually come with an in-built screen recording feature like the ones you’ll see on Apple and Windows phones. Before you go ahead and check for the best app to use on the app store, you should err towards the safe side and see if your phone has this handy feature!
Here’s how to record your screen on Android using your phone’s built-in screen recording function:
1. Open your device’s quick menu by dragging your finger from the top of your device downward twice. Tap the screen recording icon.
2. Tap Start to begin recording.
3. To stop recording, tap the same button.
4. You can find your recordings in gallery or media files.
Best Free Screen Recording App for Android Phones
You’ll need to download a third-party app if your phone doesn’t have the built-in screen recording feature or if it’s not in a polished/buggy state like on early versions of Android.
Here are some of your options.
Google Play Games
Google Play Store Link: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.google.android.play.games&hl=en&gl=US
If you’re a gamer, then you might already be familiar with the screen recording feature Google Play Games offers. This app lets you use your front-facing camera, which is ideal for those into live streaming. However, it can only record in 420p or 720p.
The only limitation for Google Play Games is that you can only record activity on the games you play. So if you’re thinking about creating a tutorial about something else, you might want to look at other options.
Here’s how to record your screen using Google Play Games:
1. Launch Google Play Games, and tap the thumbnail of the game you want to play.
2. Tap the Record icon at the top-right part of the screen.
3. Select your preferred video quality, then tap Next.
4. Tap Launch to start the game.
5. To start recording, tap the Record icon. You can also move the bubble around the screen, so you can place it wherever you like. To stop recording, just tap the same recording button.
6. You have the option to mute or unmute your mic and close your front camera. Simply tap the mic and the video camera icon to do so.
7. To end the recording, simply drag the floating bubble over the X icon located in the center of the screen.
ADV Screen Recorder
Google Play Store Link: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.blogspot.byterevapps.lollipopscreenrecorder&hl=en&gl=US
The ADV Screen Recorder has a simple interface but is capable of recording everything on your smartphone’s screen, whether it’s in HD or not. This app is compatible with Android 5.0 and up.
One of the best things about this is that you don’t have to launch the app each time you need it. It features a handy button overlay that’ll rest on your screen for easy access each time you want to record something.
What’s even more impressive about this app is that it doesn’t cause any delay or lag on most devices. It’s also free from ads, so you won’t get any interruption as you record your screen.
Here’s how to record your screen using ADV Screen Recorder:
1. Launch the app. Tap the plus icon on the top-right of the screen.
2. Tap Start now.
3. Tap the video icon on the screen.
4. Tap the record button to start recording.
5. If you want to pause the recording, tap the pause icon (with two vertical lines). To stop recording, tap record (square icon).
6. You can also stop or pause the recording using your Android device’s quick menu. Simply drag your finger from the top of your device, and you’ll find the ADV Screen Recorder menu bar. From there, you can tap Stop, Pause, or Draw if you want to draw on your screen.
7. Your video will be automatically saved to your gallery. Alternatively, you can also check all recorded videos on the app.
AZ Screen Recorder
Play Store link: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.hecorat.screenrecorder.free&hl=en&gl=US
Another great screen recorder app, AZ Screen Recorder is all about convenience. Not only does it have a very easy to use interface, but it also has a handy button overlay that’ll hide itself on your screen. It’s compatible with most smartphones running on the latest Android version, which means you shouldn’t have any issues recording any activity from your device.
Here’s how to record your screen using AZ Screen Recorder:
1. Launch the app. Tap the video camera icon on the bottom-right corner of the screen.
2. Tap Start now.
- When you’re done recording, tap the circle icon with a timer to show the controls, then tap the square icon to stop recording. To pause, tap the two vertical line icon.
- You can also use the notification panel to stop or pause your recording. Simply drag your finger down from the top of the screen, and you’ll see a small AZ Recorder menu bar.
- Once you tap Stop, your video will automatically be saved to your gallery
Mobizen Screen Recorder
Play Store link: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.rsupport.mvagent&hl=en&gl=US
This is another very straightforward option for anyone who wants to record their screen. Mobizen doesn’t have a fancy interface and doesn’t do anything special, but its simplicity makes it easy to use and is particularly useful for those who might not have a lot of experience with screen recording apps.
Here’s how to record your screen using Mobizen Screen Recorder:
1. Launch the app. Then, tap the circle on the right side of the screen.
- Three different icons will then pop up. Tap the video camera icon.
- Tap Start now to start recording.
- Swipe down to open the notification panel and you’ll find the Mobizen menu bar. Tap Pause or Stop when you’re done recording.
- A window will then show up asking if you want to delete, close, or watch the video.
We hope this guide helps you record your Android device’s screen. If you know of any other apps that are worth checking out, tell us about them by leaving a comment below! And if you have experience recording your smartphone’s screen, we’d love to hear about it!