Getting a new iPhone is exciting, but before selling or giving away your loyal old iPhone, make sure to transfer its data to your new device. You can use three easy methods: Bluetooth, iCloud, or a Computer.
Transfer data using Bluetooth
This method only works on devices with iOS 11 or later. Make sure both of your devices are sufficiently charged or plugged into power if not charged.
- First, make sure Bluetooth on both old and new iPhones is turned on. Then, bring the two devices close to each other and switch on your new iPhone.
- On your old iPhone, a small window will pop up telling you to set up your new iPhone. Select Continue.
- An animation will appear on the screen of the new device. Hold the old device over the new iPhone and wait for it to scan the animation.
- Enter the old device’s password on the new iPhone and set up Touch ID or Face ID.
- You’ll then proceed to a screen where you can choose different methods to transfer data. Tap Transfer from iPhone, and your new iPhone will begin moving data from the old device. Once the data has been transferred, you can finish setting up your new iPhone.
Transfer data using iCloud
- On your old iPhone, go to the Settings app.
- Tap on your iPhone’s name at the top.
- Tap iCloud.
- Go to iCloud Backup.
- Tap Back Up Now and wait for the backup to finish.
- Turn on your new iPhone and follow the on-screen instructions during setup until you reach the “Apps & Data” screen. Then, tap Restore from iCloud Backup and wait for the data transfer process to finish.
Transfer data using a Computer
You can follow these steps to transfer data to your new iPhone on Mac and PC. On Mac, data is transferred using the Finder app. On Windows, it is done using iTunes, which you can download from here.
- Open a Finder window on your Mac and connect your old iPhone using your charging cable (Lightning to USB).
- Click on Back Up Now and unplug the device once your computer creates the backup.
- Turn on the new iPhone, and when you get to the “Apps & Data” screen, tap Restore from Mac or PC.
- Connect the new iPhone to your computer and select Restore Backup. Once the backup is completed, you can unplug your new iPhone and finish setting it up.
Note: if you’ve already set up the new iPhone and didn’t transfer data from your old device, you can restore an old backup using the methods mentioned in this article.