A flashlight on the back of your phone is way more convenient to use and carry than an actual flashlight. There are various ways to turn on the flashlight on your Android device. Below, we have mentioned four of the main methods.
Method #1: Use the Quick Settings Option
The quickest way of turning on the flashlight on Android is using the Quick settings menu.
- Swipe down from the top of your screen (from the status bar at the top). This will open the Quick settings menu.
- Locate the torch/flashlight icon and click on it to turn it on.
- When you no longer need it, click on the icon again to turn it off.
Method #2: Use Google Assistant
If you prefer voice commands, you can use Google Assistant to turn on the flashlight on Android. Follow these steps:
- Say “Hey Google” or “OK Google” to wake up Google Assistant.
- Next, say either “Turn on the flashlight” or “Turn on the torch”. Your flashlight will now turn on!
- To turn the flashlight off, say, “Hey Google, turn off the flashlight”.
Method #3: Create a new Action Block
You can create your own Google Assistant flashlight command, which allows you to launch the flashlight using a widget on your home screen. You need to create a new action block in Google’s Action Blocks accessibility app. Follow these steps:
- Launch the Play Store and search for the Action Blocks app.
- Click on Install and install the app.
- Once the app is installed, launch it.
- Click on the I Agree button on the following screen. Then, select Create action block button.
- Expand the Do something for me section and choose Lights on from the list of options available.
- Next, type Flashlight in the Action textbox and click Test action. Then, click Next.
- Once the flashlight turns on, turn it off and close the screen.
- If the test completes successfully, click the Yes button.
- Now, choose how you want to activate this action block. For example, if you want to enable the flashlight by giving a voice command, enable Speak action out loud.
If you want the phone to vibrate when the action block is activated, enable the toggle for Vibrate.
- Once done, click Next.
- Enter a name for this action block in the text field under Action Block name. Finally, click on Save action block to proceed. If you want the action block placed on your screen, select the Next button in the Add to Home screen dialog.
- In the next window, tap and hold the action block icon.
Then, drag it to your home screen to place it there. The image below shows how the action block will look on your home screen. After that, you can simply click on it to activate the flashlight.
Method #4: Shake your phone
A fun way to turn on your flashlight is by shaking the phone. For this, however, you will need to install an app such as Shake Flashlight.
- Install Shake Flashlight – it’s free on the Google Play Store.
- Once the app is installed, launch it. Click Allow.
- Next, click Allow again to give the app camera access to launch the flashlight.
That’s it! The flashlight will turn on automatically whenever you shake your phone. Shake your phone again to turn off the flashlight.
- If you want to further customize when the light opens, click on the Gear icon on the top-right.
- Choose Shake sensitivity and pick your preferred value.