The old way of physically sharing games is becoming obsolete. PlayStation Console Sharing and Offline Play allows you to share your games library with a friend digitally. You can enjoy each other’s digital library remotely, safely, and legally.
Console Sharing and Offline Play allows two consoles to share game libraries. This is done by logging in to your account on both consoles and turning on Console Sharing and offline play on the secondary one. The feature also has these benefits:
- Share your whole game library, including any DLCs you own.
- Share your PlayStation Plus subscription.
- Share online functionality without purchasing two separate PlayStation Plus subscriptions.
- Play a game online on both consoles. You can even play the same game together, effectively removing the need to purchase two copies of the game. This only works with digital games.
Console Sharing and Offline Play works both ways as well. Games purchased on your account will be available to download on the secondary PS5. Games purchased on your friend’s/your secondary account will be available to download on the primary PS5. Here’s what you’ll need:
- A primary PS5
- A secondary PS5
- A primary PSN account
- A secondary PSN account (could be your friend’s).
Note: This feature used to be called Gameshare on PS4. Despite the name change, the feature essentially remains the same.
Enabling Console Sharing and Offline Play
On the Primary PS5
- Turn on the primary PS5 and log in to your primary PlayStation Network account. On the main screen, select the Settings icon on the top right.
- Go to Users and Accounts.
- Select Other.
- Now, select Console Sharing and Offline Play.
- You’ll see “[Console Sharing and Offline Play] is enabled for you on this PS5” – this is the default state for new consoles. Click on Disable.
You need this option disabled on your primary/first console.
- If the Console Sharing and Offline Play is already disabled, you’ll see “You don’t have a PS5 with [Console Sharing and Offline Play] enabled“.
If that’s the case, don’t do anything and back out of the screen by pressing the O button on your controller.
- Now log out of the primary PlayStation Network account on the primary PS5.
On the Secondary PS5
- Log in using the primary PlayStation Network account on the secondary PS5 you want to Console Sharing and Offline Play with. You’ll share your digital game library with every account on this secondary PS5.
- Select the Settings icon, then go to Users and Accounts > Other.
- Go to Console Sharing and Offline Play, and select Don’t Disable. You want Console Sharing and Offline Play ENABLED on the secondary PS5 by using the Primary PSN account.
- Log out from your primary PlayStation Network account on this console as well.
- Log in on the secondary PS5 with the second account. You can now download games from the shared game library!
You can also use any other account to access the games. This will create separate save data, and you can earn PlayStation trophies for each account.