FaceTime is Apple’s video chat application that allows you to video call with friends and family on their iPhones, iPads, or Macs. Until recently, Android users were left behind when it came to family FaceTime calls. But now, Android users can use FaceTime to join the conversation!
How to Use FaceTime on Your Android Device
As an Android user, you are still unable to start FaceTime calls. However, you can still join calls using your web browser (e.g. Chrome or Microsoft Edge).
FaceTime call can only be started by Apple users who have Apple devices that meet the following requirements:
- An iPhone or iPad running iOS 15 or later
- A Mac with the latest version of macOS Monterey or higher
You also need to have:
- An Android device
- A stable internet connection
- An up-to-date mobile browser
Now that you and the host are ready, here’s how you can join a Facetime call on Android.
For the host/Apple User: Create a FaceTime Link
- Open FaceTime, and select the Create Link option located at the top left side of the screen.
- Share the FaceTime link. It could be via Messages, Mail, Facebook, or Instagram. You can also Copy the link and send it to an Android user wherever you see fit.
For the Android user: Join the call
- On your android device, open the link the host sent you in your mobile browser. The beginning of the link will look like this: facetime.apple.com/join#v.
- Type your name and tap on the Continue button.
- Select Join (green button) located at the top-right corner of your screen.
- For first-timers, FaceTime will ask for permission to access your microphone and camera. Tap Allow.
For the host/Apple User: confirm user to join
- Accept the Android user’s request to join by tapping on the green circle check icon on the top of the screen.
- Upon entering the call, both parties will see similar options to expand the screen, mute or unmute their mic, turn their camera on or off, switch their camera view, leave the call, and more.
Note: While you can successfully join a FaceTime call on Android, it’s unlikely that the quality of the video and audio will be as good as what you’d normally experience on an Apple device.