Did your PS5 controller die on you, or perhaps you want to use your PS5 for watching content or listening to music? Regardless of the reasons why you would want to use your PS5 without a controller, there are several methods to do this.
Apart from the Keyboard and Mouse method, all methods mentioned require a PS5/PS4 controller for the initial setup. However, once the initial setup is complete, you can control your PS5 without a controller.
Control your PS5 using a TV remote
The HDMI linking features are only available on certain modern TVs. Some older TVs or monitors won’t support these features.
This feature is great for watching movies from your PS5, as you’ll be able to control the PS5 with just your TV remote. However, playing a video game using the remote might be difficult!
- Turn on the PS5 and log in to your account.
- Locate the Settings gear icon on the top-right of the interface
- Once inside settings, navigate to System
- Next, go to HDMI settings
- Turn on HDMI Device Link, this feature allows your TV to communicate with the PS5. Then, toggle on Enable One-Touch Play and Enable Power Off Link. One-Touch Play enables the PS5 to turn on when you turn on your TV and vice versa. Power Off Link turns off (puts it into sleep mode) the PS5 when you turn off the TV
- Now you can use your TV remote to navigate the PS5 interface!
Control your PS5 using a keyboard and mouse
The PS5 supports most USB keyboards and mice by default. This includes wired, wireless, and Bluetooth-enabled devices. Only older PS2 (Personal System 2, not to be confused with PlayStation 2) Keyboards and mice are not supported.
In a recent FAQ session, senior director Sid Shuman of Sony Interactive Entertainment stated, “Yes, USB and Bluetooth keyboards and mice are supported at a system level, though game developers will decide whether to support them at a game level”
So there is a high chance your input devices will work perfectly with the console.
Connection via USB
- Turn on your PS5
- Get a USB keyboard and mouse
- Plug the USB of the mouse or keyboard into one of the USB ports on the PS5.
Note: There is only one USB port at the front while the back has an additional 2
If you don’t have enough free USB ports, you can also connect a USB hub to the PS5 and connect through that.
- Once plugged in, the keyboard and mouse will be automatically detected by the PS5
- You can now use the arrow keys on the keyboard to navigate the menus and start a game.
Note: Many games like Call of Duty and Fortnite support keyboard and mouse inputs, so you will be able to get the full gaming experience.
- To change the Keyboard settings, navigate to Settings > Accessories > Keyboard
- To change the Mouse settings, go to Settings > Accessories > Mouse
- To disconnect, simply unplug the USB from the port
Connect Bluetooth Keyboard and Mouse
The PS5 also supports Bluetooth Keyboard and Mouse
- Navigate to Settings > Accessories
- Select Bluetooth Accessories
- Put your Keyboard or mouse into pairing mode. The PS5 will detect the accessories and connect.
Control your PS5 using your Phone
To use Remote App features, you’ll need to enable a few features available in the Rest Mode on the PS5
Turn on Rest Mode Features
The PS5 will only turn on when it’s left in the Rest Mode. Rest mode is located on the Power Menu that can be accessed from the PS5 dashboard.
Before putting your PS5 into Rest Mode, there’s a few features you need to enable in settings:
- On the PS5, go to Settings
- Then select System
- After that Power Saving
- Followed by Features Available in Rest Mode
- Toggle on Stay Connected to the Internet, Enable Turning on PS5 from Network, and Enable Turning on PS5 from Spotify
Using the Remote Play App
- Download the PlayStation Remote Play App for Android or iOS
- On your PS5 and navigate to Settings > System > Remote Play. Then, turn on Enable Remote Play.
- On the Phone start the Remote Play App and sign in to your PSN ID. Note: Make sure you sign in with the same account on both PS5 and phone
- Select PS5. The app will search for the console to connect automatically
- Your PS5 will turn on and connect with your smartphone
- After the connection, the PS5 main screen will show up on your phone
- Use the virtual controller to navigate the interface to play a game, manage downloads or turn off the console
Method 4: PS5 Media Remote
This method requires you to have a PS5 Media Remote. You can purchase it directly from Sony (or a retail store you prefer). The Media Remote allows you to easily navigate the PS5 interface using arrow keys. It also comes with dedicated media buttons allowing you better control over playing videos. The remote also features an IR blaster that can control the volume and power settings of the TV.
- On your PS5, navigate to Settings > Accessories > Media Remote. Select the Setup Media Remote option
- Your PS5 will automatically scan for the remote automatically.
- Once connected, you can use the remote to control your PS5