Knowing where to find your Apple ID is essential for any Apple user. You need your Apple ID to sign in to different apps, access services like Apple Music, and download apps to your device.
Finding your Apple ID also helps when you need to edit specific details like your phone number or password.
Why you need to know your Apple ID
An Apple ID consists of the email address and password you used when you first created your Apple ID. For example, [email protected]. The email you use does not have to be a @icloud.com email from Apple; it can be from other providers like Gmail or Outlook.
It’s easy to create an Apple ID when setting up your Apple device – all you need is an email address and your phone number.
Knowing the details of your Apple ID is important because of its many uses. Some of them include:
- To access Apple Services. An Apple ID allows you to download apps from the Apple Store, sync iCloud contacts, create backups, and access services like Apple Music.
- To find a missing iPhone. You need to have your Apple ID to find your iPhone if it’s stolen or lost. Your friends or family members can use your Apple ID to use Find My to locate your missing iPhone.
- Transferring data. When transferring data from an old iPhone to a new one, you need your Apple ID and password to facilitate the move. Your Apple ID ensures you can sign in to your existing accounts and apps on the new device.
You should know how to find your Apple ID if you need it. Read on to find out how.
Find your Apple ID in Settings
- Go to the Settings app on your phone.
- Tap on your name at the top to access your Apple ID.
- You can get your Apple ID email in the Apple ID section (it is the email written under your name). You can also get other details about your Apple ID in this window.
- Click Name, Phone Numbers, and Email. Here, you can edit the name, phone number, and email address linked to your Apple account in this section.
Find your Apple ID in your email
When you pay for any apps or services on your iPhone, you receive a notification in your email. You can access these emails from your Apple Mail, Gmail, or other email providers on your device. This can help you find your Apple ID.
- Go to your mail app on your iPhone (I will be using Gmail).
- In the Search bar, type “Apple ID” to see emails with details related to your Apple ID. Most of the emails that feature your Apple ID will be invoices or confirmation of previous changes to your information.
- Open any Invoice email from Apple.
- You will see an email similar to the one below, where your Apple ID is displayed below the Apple logo.
Find your Apple ID using iforgot.apple.com
If you created an Apple ID for a different Apple device and forgot the email, there is support from Apple to help you retrieve it. The iforgot.apple.com website allows users to check if they have an Apple ID. You can access this site from any browser, including Safari and Chrome. Here is how:
- Open your preferred browser on your iPhone and go to iforgot.apple.com.
- Enter your first and last name.
- Then, enter your Email address which you think is your Apple ID.
- Click Continue.
- If you have an Apple ID, you will receive a notification saying “Apple ID found”, showing your Apple ID.
- Click Go to Your Account to get more details about your Apple ID.
- You will have to Sign In to access your Apple account.