Customizing your iPhone home screen has never been as easy as now. You can quickly design the layout you want by organizing apps into folders and adding more home screen pages.
Making app folders on your iPhone makes re-arranging straightforward. This guide shows you how to move apps and widgets on your iPhone home screen.
How to Move Apps and Widgets on Your Home Screen
Here is how to move both apps and widgets on your home screen to change the layout:
- Tap and hold any app or Widget on the home screen until the other apps start to jiggle.
- If you want to move an app on the home screen, you can tap and hold the app or widget until you can drag it across the screen. Then, drag the app to a different location on the same home screen or another home screen page. If you only have one Home Screen page, you’ll need to wait for a few seconds until the other page appears.
- The dots at the bottom of the home screen page indicate how many pages you’ve created.
- If you want to delete a home screen page, drag all the apps and widgets to another home screen page. An empty home screen page is automatically deleted.
How to Add and Edit Widgets on your Home Screen
Widgets help you access information from frequently-used apps at any time. Whether it’s a calendar or a to-do list widget, you can add it to your home screen for easy access.
If you want information from your favorite apps quickly, here is how to add the app widgets to your home screen:
- Go to the home screen. Tap and hold an empty part of the screen until all the apps start to shake.
- Tap the Add (+) button in the upper-right corner of your home screen. You will see a list of available widgets to add to your home screen.
- Select the widget you want to add.
- You can choose from the various widget sizes available.
- Tap Add widget.
- The widget will appear on your home screen.
- Touch and hold the Widget you want to edit until a pop-up menu appears—Tap Edit Widget to change the size and theme of the widget on your home screen.
How to Move App Folders on iPhone Home Screen
If you constantly use multiple apps a day, it can be a chore to look for a less frequently-used app if it’s not on the main home screen page.
Organizing your apps into folders improves your home screen’s aesthetics and makes it easier to find your favorite apps.
It’s easier to move apps in a folder like Music Folder or Finance Folder than to move them individually. Here is how:
- Touch and hold the home screen background until the apps start to shake.
- To create a folder, drag one app onto another app.
- To add more, drag other apps into the folder.
- To change the folder’s name, tap and hold the folder until a pop-up menu appears.
- Select Rename to edit the Folder name.
- When finished, tap Done.
- To delete an entire folder, open it and drag all the apps out of it.
- There is also another way you can delete a folder. Press and hold the folder until a pop-up menu appears.
- If you select Remove Folder from the pop-up menu, it will remove the apps from your home screen. You can still access them from the App library.
Creating folders for your apps gives you more room to add and move widgets on your home screen.
How to Reset the Home Screen to its Original Layout
If you don’t like your changes, you can go back to the original home screen layout.
Resetting the home screen’s original layout deletes all the folders you created. After the pre-installed apps, any apps you download onto your device will be arranged alphabetically on your home screen.
Most apps go to your home screen after the download is complete by default. If you want them to be added to your App Library instead, go to Settings > HomeScreen > App Library Only.
Follow these steps to reset your home screen layout:
- Go to the Settings app.
- Tap General.
- Select Transfer or Reset iPhone.
- Tap Reset.
- Tap Reset Home Screen Layout.
- To confirm, tap Reset Home Screen to return to the original Home Screen layout.