Playing online on Sony’s latest console is streamlined and straightforward. Connect to the internet, and you are good to go. Some games require a PlayStation Plus membership to play online. However, Free-to-play games like Fortnite and COD: Warzone only need an internet connection. Follow these steps to play online on PS5.
Check your internet connection
- Turn on the PS5 and log in to your PSN account.
- Navigate to Settings, then scroll down and select Network.
- Make sure the internet is connected by using the Test Internet Connection tool in Network
- If it isn’t connected, sign in from the Set Up Internet Connection option on the Network screen
- Once connected, start a game you want to play
- If it’s a paid game, a PlayStation Plus subscription is required to play online.
How to know which games require PS Plus
Free-to-play games like Fortnite, Apex Legends, and Call of Duty: Warzone do not require a PlayStation Plus subscription. You can connect to the internet, start a free-to-play game, and access online features for free.
On the other hand, paid games like Call of Duty: Vanguard, Dying Light 2, and Borderlands 3 require an active PS Plus subscription for online features.
You can check game details on the PS Store to verify if a game requires PS Plus for online play.
PlayStation Now is a subscription service that offers paid games for a fixed monthly fee. If a game is featured on PlayStation Now, it can be played online if you have a subscription, without any additional costs.