Apple’s iCloud makes moving data from an old to a new iPhone reasonably straightforward. If you’re switching from an older iPhone model to a newer one, you can transfer apps using Quick Start, iCloud, or AirDrop. Android users who just got an iPhone will have to use an app called Move to iOS.
Moving apps to your new iPhone during startup
Using Quick Start to move apps from an old to a new iPhone
Using Quick Start to transfer apps from an old device to a new iPhone is a quick way to transfer apps. Here’s what you need:
- A Bluetooth connection between the devices
- Apple ID
This method will not only transfer apps to the new iPhone but also other data, including contacts, photos, videos, calendars, and notes.
- Turn on Bluetooth on the old iPhone and the new iPhone.
- Arrange the two devices in close proximity and switch on your new device. On the old iPhone, a window will appear telling you to set up your new iPhone.
- Scan the animation on the new iPhone screen with the old iPhone.
- A pop-up will appear on the new iPhone. Enter your old iPhone’s password to access its content.
- You’ll then be able to choose how to transfer data from the old iPhone to the new iPhone. Tap Transfer from iPhone and wait for your data to finish transferring. Once finished, you can set up your new iPhone using this guide.
Using iCloud to move apps from an old to a new iPhone
You will need to backup your old iPhone to iCloud to transfer your apps and data to your new phone. Automatic daily backups to iCloud are probably already set up on your phone. If they’re not, you can turn them on.
Once the backup is completed, turn on your new iPhone which should be in the Startup mode. Follow the on-screen instructions to get to the “Apps & Data” screen and then tap Restore from iCloud Backup.
Once the restoration process is finished, your apps and other data (including contacts, calendars, messages, photos, videos, etc.) will be transferred to your new iPhone.
Transferring apps from Android to an iPhone
Android users who recently purchased a new iPhone can use the Move to iOS app to move Android apps to their new iPhone. We show you how to transfer Android data, including apps, to iPhone in detail.
Transferring Apps from One iPhone to Another with AirDrop
Sharing files between iPhones can be done using AirDrop. There are three prerequisites for this method:
- Bluetooth must be turned on on both devices.
- AirDrop must be enabled on both devices.
- Both devices must be logged in to the same Apple ID for the app data to transfer.
- Go to the old iPhone and long tap on the app you want to transfer. Tap Share App.
- Tap AirDrop.
- Tap the device you want to AirDrop to (the new iPhone will show up here).
- Tap Accept on the new iPhone. You can do this with as many apps as you want.