Want to turn on your PS5 remotely using an app? Perhaps to have a game ready to go before you sit down to play or to open some music on the TV.
You can use either the Remote Play or PlayStation apps to open your PS5 remotely. Follow this guide to see how.
Note that you’ll only be able to turn on your PS5 using your phone if your PS5 is in Rest Mode. If it’s completely powered off, there is no method that would open it remotely.
First step: Put your PS5 in Rest Mode
As mentioned, you must put your PS5 in Rest Mode before you can open it remotely using an app. Follow these steps:
- On your PS5, go to Settings
- Then, select System.
- Select Power Saving.
- Lastly, select Features Available in Rest Mode.
- Turn on Stay Connected to the Internet, Enable Turning on PS5 from Network, and Enable Turning on PS5 from Spotify.
Finally, you’re ready to make your PS5 enter Rest Mode. Rest Mode can be selected from the Power Menu on the PS5 dashboard.
Method #1: Turn on your PS5 remotely using the Remote Play app
This method allows you to both open your PS5 remotely and play the game on your phone.
- On your PS5, navigate to Settings > System > Remote Play. Then, turn on Enable Remote Play.
- Download the PlayStation Remote Play App on Android or iOS. The instructions will be the same whether you’re using an Android, iPhone or iPad.
- Launch Remote Play and sign in to your PSN ID on your phone. Note: Make sure you sign in with the same account on both PS5 and phone
- In the next window, select PS5. The app will automatically search for the console to connect to it.
- Your PS5 will turn on and connect to your smartphone. First-time pairing can take several minutes, don’t close the app during the procesS.
- After the connection, the PS5 screen will display on your phone.
- Use the virtual controller to navigate the interface to play a game, manage downloads or turn on and off the console.
Method #2: Turn on your PS5 remotely using the PlayStation app
This method allows you to open your PS5 remotely, but you won’t be able to remotely play a game.
- Install the PlayStation App on Android or iOS.
- When you first open it, log in using the same PSN ID as your PS5.
- Tap on Settings (gear icon) on the top right.
- Navigate to Console Management, then select Link Console to App.
- Now choose your PS5 and link it to the app by pressing the Select Console button.
- Go back and tap the Game Library icon on the bottom.
- Select a game you want to play, then select Play on Console.
- The app will start connecting to your console.
- Once connected, the PS5 will remotely turn on and start the game.
- Now you can pick up the controller and start playing!
Method #3: Turn on your PS5 remotely using Spotify (for listening to music)
This method will remotely turn on the PS5 and automatically start playing the tune you selected on your phone. This is great if you have a sound system attached to the TV or PS5.
Note: You’ll still need to use your PS5 controller to navigate the interface.
- Download the Spotify app for Android or iOS.
- Install the app on your PS5 as well.
- Log in to the same Spotify account on both your phone and PS5.
- Launch Spotify on your phone and select a track. Next, tap on the Connect to a device icon.
- Select your PS5.
- The app will turn on your PS5 and attempt a connection. After the connection, the PS5 will turn on and start playing the music you want!
- As your PS5 is now turned on, you can use the controller to navigate to the game you want to play.